back to main page
the current standings
Changed info on DVOA sprints on Septemer 8, now a doubleheader not a tripleheader (added September 5)
Added ICO sprint at Camp Bear Creek in Connersville, IN, on August 12 (added July 30)
2007 Sprint Series (137 sprints so far, lots more to come)
To add a sprint to the 2007 Sprint Series, send details -- where, when (including approximate time of day), e-mail contact for a contact person, and web address for the host club, plus anything other info you want to add to the calendar, such as other events on the same day -- to the Commissioner (email@example.com) at least 20 days prior to the event. Please also add a link from your club's website to this page (http://petergagarin.org/2007ss/schedule.html).
Note -- the number in parentheses by each event is the points to the winner.
December 2006 (2)
(2 x 40, doubleheader) OCIN New Year's Orienteering Festival sprint, Cincinnati, OH, Sunday, December 31. More info: Mike Minium
(45) Anza Borrego Sprint, in the desert east of San Diego, CA, Saturday afternoon, January 13. Team fundraiser, part of the Anza-Borrego B meet. More info: Bill Gookin
(30) U.C. Berkeley Sprint, Berkeley, CA, Sunday, January 21. More info: Rex Winterbottom
(3 x 30, tripleheader) WCOC Winter Meeting Sprints, Bennet's Pond, Ridgefield, CT, Sunday afternoon, January 28. First starts at 1 pm, control pick-up no later than 3:30, so not too much dawdling between sprints. Everyone is invited to the DeWiit residence afterwards for pizza. munchies (and the club's winter meeting). Directions: From I-84 in Danbury, eastbound or westbound, take Rt. 7 south. After 3.5 miles, turn Right onto Bennett's Farm Road. After 0.7 miles, look for O signs and (smallish) Bennett's Pond parking area on the right. E-punching (at least partly). More info: Rick Dewitt. For map printing purposes, please let Rick know if you think you might attend.
(3 x 30, tripleheader) Lake Fairfax sprints, Lake Fairfax Park, Reston , VA. Sunday, February 11. New map, e-punching. Course setter: Tom Strat, 703-955-1743.
(45) Georgia Navigator Cup Sprint, Sweetwater Creek SP, west of Atlanta, GA. Saturday afternoon, February 17. US Team fundraiser, course setter Vladimir Gusiatnikov.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Tucson sprint, Greaterville / Kentucky Camp map, Tucson, AZ, Sunday, February 18. Meet director: Barb Bryant. Course setter: Leif Lundquist.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Vancouver Sprint Training Weekend, sprints at SFU, Vancouver, BC. Sunday, February 18. More info: Louise Orem.
(30) Emerald Hills Sprint, Redwood City, CA. Saturday afternoon, February 24. More info: Nancy Lindeman
(45 for Blue/Red, 35 for Green/Brown/Orange) BOK/Team A Meet, Raleigh, NC. Friday afternoon, March 2, Team fundraiser. Sanctioned 3-day A meet, including World Ranking Event.
(2 x 330, doubleheader) Pine Hill Double Sprints, Medford, MA, Sunday, March 4. Also white and yellow courses. Meet director: Michael Commons.
(30) OLOU German Ridge sprint, Hoosier National Forest, east of Tell City, IN. Saturday, March 10. In conjunction with a regular meet. More info: Louie Smith.
(30) SLOC sprint at Forest Park, St. Louis, MO. 6 pm, Thursday March 15. Meet director: Eric Buckley.
(2 x 40, doubleheader) Flying Pig A Meet Sprints, Cincinnati, OH. Saturday, March 17. Sprints will be in Cincinnati city parks. More info: Mike Minium
(30) NEOC sprint at Boojum Rock, Middlesex Fells, Stoneham, MA. Saturday afternoon, March 17. Starts 1-2 pm. Brought to you by NEOC's jumiors. More info: Caroline Fleming.
(2 x 30, prologue & chase) Point Pinole Sprints, Point, Pinole Regional Shoreline, Richmond, CA. Sunday, March18. More info: Steve Gregg
(3 x 30, tripleheader) The Eliminator Sprints, Rattlesnake Point and Mt. Nemo, near Milton, ON, Saturday, March 24.
(3 x 30, tripleheader) Horine sprints, Jefferson Memorial Forest, Louisville, KY. Saturday, March 24. Three sprints, all with different course designers. We might even add a 4th sprint on Friday evening if we come up with another course designer. More info: Louie Smith.
(30) Hyland Lake Sprint, Hyland Lake Regional Park, Bloomington, MN, Saturday afternoon 2-3 pm, March 24. Part of MNOC's Orienteering Skill Development Clinic. More info: Ian Harding.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Mine Falls Double Sprints, Nashua NH, Sunday, March 25. Also white and yellow courses. Meet director: Michael Commons.
(45) DVOA sprint at Fair Hill, Elkton, MD. Saturday afternoon, March 31. Part of the DVOA Fox Chaser A Meet. Team fundraiser.
(30) Roberts Recreation Area Sprint, Oakland, CA. Saturday, March 31. More info: Rex Winterbottom.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) NEOC sprints at Blue Hills West, south of Boston, MA. Sunday, April 1. There will be a conventional, staggered-start sprint (2.5km/40m) anytime from 10 am to 1 pm. There will be a 'butterfly,' MASS-START sprint (3.0km/40m) at 10:30 am ONLY. The starting area for both events is 400m from the parking lot/registration. It will be extremely difficult to run the conventional sprint before running the butterfly; there will be plenty of time afterwards. All participants are encouraged to contact me directly by e-mail or telephone (617-696-3442) for more details about the butterfly and to indicate intention to attend in order to help with map-printing numbers. Contact: Peter Amram.
(30) Golden Gate Park Sprint, San Francisco, CA. Saturday, April 7. More info: Rex Winterbottom.
(30) NEOC sprint at Menotomy Rocks, Arlington, MA, Sunday, April 8. May be a Team fundraiser. Easter Sunday, also egg-O and string-O. Meet director: Kristin Hall.
(30) Bernheim Research Forest and Arboretum sprint, Bardstown, KY, south of Louisville. Saturday, April 14. One sprint held in conjunction with a standard XC meet. A beautiful spot, by the way. This is a private forest. Their arboretum has the largest collection of holly trees in the US. More info: Louie Smith.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) MVOC Hills and Dales sprints, Hills and Dales Metropark, Dayton, OH. Sunday, April 15. More info: Gabe Svobodny.
(30) MNOC sprint at Lebanon Hills Regional Park, Eagan, MN. Sunday, April 15. Course setter: Pete Curtis.
(30) SLOC sprint at Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO. 6 pm, Thursday April 19. Meet director: Eric Buckley.
(30) CSU sprint at Cat Rock Park, Weston, MA. 6 pm, Wednesday, April 25. More info: Ross Smith.
(45) West Point A Meet sprint, Camp Buckner, West Point, NY. Saturday afternoon, April 28. Team fundraiser. E-punching. Course setter: Peter Gagarin.
(30) ROC sprint at Badgerow Park, Greece, NY, Sunday, April 29 (12-2pm starts). Also white and yellow courses. Meet director: TBD. More info: Mike Lyons.
(30) Waterloo Stars sprint, Sunday, April 29. Also an urban adventure race. New map drawn to sprint standards. More info: Nick Duca.
(30) Stanford University Sprint, Palo Alto, CA. Sunday, April 29. More info: Chuck Spalding. Definitely on.
(30) CSU sprint at Pine Banks Park, Boston, MA. Tuesday evening, May 1. Brendan J Shields <firstname.lastname@example.org>
(30) FWOC Sprint Series #1, Calgary, AB. Wednesday, May 2, 6:15 pm. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(50) US Team Trials, Ann Arbor, MI, Friday afternoon, May 4. Sanctioned 3-day A meet, including World Ranking Event.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Possume Trot sprints. First sprint at Loose Park, Kansas City, MO, Saturday, May 5, 9 am. Second sprint at Jewish Community Center, Overland Park, KS, Saturday, May 5, 1 pm. More info: Dick Neuburger.
(30) CSU sprint at Fresh Pond, Cambridge, MA. Tuesday evening, May 8. Pre-registration required. More info: Brendan Shields.
(30) NEOC sprint at Hammond Pond, Brookline, MA. Sunday, May 13. Also W, Y, and memory courses. More info: Neil Martin.
(30) DVOA sprint at Tyler State Park near Newtown, Pennsylvania. Sunday, May 13, 10 am to 1:30 pm. Also a regular meet. More info: Karl Ahlswede.
(30) HVO Mother's Day sprint, Central Park, New York, NY. Sunday, May 13, 12:30 pm. Also white through red courses from 10:30 to 1:30. Start is at the North Meadow Rec Ctr just north of the 97th street cut through (in the middle of the park). More info: Jeremy Colgan.
(30) QOC sprint at Annapolis, MD. Sunday, May 13. More info: Heidi Onkst.
(30) CSU sprint at Stonehurst, Waltham, MA. Wednesday evening, May 16. Pre-registration required. More info: Brendan Shields.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) SLOC sprints at Tower Grove Park, St. Louis, MO. Thursday evening May 17, 6 pm. More info: Eric Buckley.
(2 x 40, doubleheader) Billygoat Sprints, Thatcher SP/Camp Pinnacle, near Albany, NY Saturday afternoon May 19. More info: Janet Tryson.
(2 x 40, 4 round sprint tournament, points for total time on A+B, and for C+D) BAOC Sprint Championships, College of Marin Indian Valley campus, Novato, CA. Saturday, May 19. More info: Gary Kraght
(30) Possum Trot sprint, Sar-Ko-Par Park, Lenexa, KS, Saturday, May 19, 4 pm. More info: Dick Neuburger. Definitely on.
(2 x 40 doubleheader) Sage Stomp sprints, Kamloops, BC. Monday morning, May 21. Part of the Sage Stomp A meet, with middle distance on Saturday and a 6-hour rogaine on Sunday. More info: Marie-Catherine Bruno.
(30) CSU sprint at Franklin Park, Boston, MA. Tuesday evening, May 22. Pre-registration required. More info: Brendan Shields.
(50) Moose Creek Splash sprint, Elbow Bluffs map, near Calgary, Alberta. Saturday afternoon, May 26. Part of the Canadian Team Trials (west) weekend. More info: Adrian Zissos.
(30) ROC sprint at Bayview YMCA, Wesbter, NY, Sunday, May 27 (12-2pm starts). Also Random-O. Meet director: Paul Schwartz.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Waterloo Stars Challenge, Cambridge, Ontario, Sunday, May 27. 2007 map. More info: Nick Duca.
(30) OLOU Sprint Series #1, Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY. Tuesday evening, May 29, 6:30 pm. Course setter: Don Mattingly.
(30) CSU sprint at Peter's Hill, Boston, MA. Wednesday evening, May 30. Pre-registration required. More info: Brendan Shields.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) MNOC sprints at Lake Elmo Regional Park, Lake Elmo, MN. Saturday, June 2, noon. Also a 45-minute score-O. More info: Ian Harding.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) SLOC sprints at Cliff Cave, St. Louis, MO. Saturday, June 2. Meet director: Bill Langton.
(30) OLOU Sprint Series #2, Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY. Tuesday evening, June 5, 6:30 pm. Course setters: Paul & Alison Vice.
(30) FWOC Sprint Series #2, Pearce Estates Park, Calgary, AB. Wednesday, June 6, 6:15 pm. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) WCOC Crandalls Sprints, Crandalls Park, Tolland, CT. Sunday, June 10. Tentative pending park permission. Also WYO courses. Meet director: Clint Morse.
(30) DVOA sprint at Hibernia, Chester County, PA. Sunday, June 10. Also regular courses. Event Director: Scott Thatcher.
(30) OLOU Sprint Series #3, Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY. Tuesday evening, June 12, 6:30 pm. Course setter: Louis Smith.
(50) Nav-Stock Sprint, ORO Sandhills near Barre, ON. Saturday, June 16. Part of Nav-Stock weekend of orienteering, also the Canadian Team Trials, eastern version. Meet director: Nevin French.
(30) OLOU Sprint Series #4, Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY. Tuesday evening, June 19, 6:30 pm. Course setters: Jeff & Mary Hamilton.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) GHO Sprint Champs at Christie Conservation Area, Flamborough, ON. Wednesday, June 20, 6 pm. More info: Hans Fransson.
(30) CAOC sprint at Churchill Woods, Glen Ellyn, IL. Wednesday, June 20. Meet director: Lenny Shatskin.
(30) Solstice Sprint Course, Big Finn Hill Park, Kirkland, WA. Wednesday evening, June 20. Registration will start at 5:30 pm at 14014 81st Pl NE, Bothell, WA. Starts will be at 6:30 pm. Actual sunset is about 9:30 pm, so there is plenty of daylight. Part of Sammamish OC's summer Wednesday evening series. More info: Bruce McAlister.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) SLOC sprints at Carondolet Park, St. Louis, MO. Thursday evening June 21, 6 pm. More info: Eric Buckley.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) EWOC sprints at Manito Park (about 1 pm) and at the Bowl and Pitcher in Riverside State Park (about 5 pm), Spokane, WA. Saturday, June 23. Part of "The Spokane Flood, 12,003rd Anniversary: Two Jackrabbits and a Goat" weekend). The Goat will be at Fishtrap Lake, running around the lake and using O map and topo (no air photos this time). More info: John Hanbuck.
(40) Alberta Champs Sprint, Medicine Hills, Winfield, AB. Saturday afternoon, June 23. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(30) ROC sprint at Cobbs Hill Park, Rochester, NY, Sunday, June 24 (12-2pm starts). Also regular courses (probably Orange and down). Meet director: TBD.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Ratlum Mountain Sprints, Canton, CT. Sunday, June 24. Also BBQ and WCOC summer meeting. More info: Charlie DeWeese.
(30) OLOU Sprint Series #5, Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY. Tuesday evening, June 26, 6:30 pm. Course setter: Arnie Franklin.
(2 x 40, doubleheader) BC Sprint Champs, Kimberly, BC. Monday, July 2. Two sprint events - total time of the two events will determine the Spring Run-off Sprint Series winners. More info: Marie-Catherine Bruno.
(30) OLOU Sprint Series #6, Cherokee Park, Louisville, KY. Tuesday evening, July 3, 6:30 pm. Course setter: John Mann.
(30) FWOC Sprint Series #3, Bowness Park, Calgary, AB. Wednesday, July 4, 6:15 pm. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(30) BFLO sprint at Chestnut Ridge Park, Orchard Park, NY,.Tuesday, July 10 (5:30-6:15pm starts). Also 60-minute Score-O event; mass start at 7pm. Meet director: Patty Lyons.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) Stars Sprint Championships, Kitchener, ON. Sunday, July 15. Meet director: Nick Duca.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) SLOC sprints at UMSL, St. Louis, MO. Thursday evening July 19, 6 pm. Map used for the 2006 Team Trials sprint. More info: Eric Buckley.
(30) BAOC sprint at Roberts/Joaquin Miller Parks, Oakland, CA. Saturday July 21. Orienteering Skills Training in morning, Potluck Social
(Lunch), WYO-Sprint in afternoon. More info: Joe Scarborough.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) SLOC sprints at Forest Park, St. Louis, MO. Sunday, July 22, 1 pm. Meet director: Rob Wagnon.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) OCIN sprints at East Fork State Park, east of Cincinnati, OH. Sunday, July 22, 11 am - 1 pm. Also a white course. Meet director: Gerald Yip.
(30) CAOC sprint at Linne Woods, Skokie, IL. Wednesday, July 25. Meet director: Gale Teschendorf.
(50) Canadian Sprint Champs, University of Saskatchewan Saskatoon campus, Saskatoon, SK. Friday, July 27. Also Middle and Long champs, with all three World Ranking Events.
(30) ROC sprint at Black Creek Park, Rochester, NY, Saturday, July 28 (starts after Score-O). Also Score-O (10am) and white courses. Meet director: TBD.
(30) FWOC Sprint Series #4, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB. Wednesday, August 1, 6:15 pm. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(30) CAOC sprint at Harms Woods, Skokie, IL. Wednesday, August 1. Meet director: Carl Larsson.
(30) ICO Camp Bear Creek Sprint, Connersville, IN. Sunday, August 12. White, yelow, and an expert-level course will also be offered. Meet director: Frank Baukert.
(30) CAOC sprint at Miami Woods, Skokie, IL. Wednesday, August 15. Meet director: Michael Collins.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) SLOC sprints at Tilles Park, St. Louis, MO. Thursday evening August 16, 6 pm. More info: Eric Buckley.
(30) ROC sprint at Webster Park, Webster, NY, Saturday, August 25 (6-7:30pm starts). Also Night-O to follow. Meet director: Mike Lyons.
(2 x 30, doubleheader) MNOC sprints at Como Park, St. Paul, MN. Tuesday evening, April 28 (6:30-7:30 starts). More info: Jerritt Johnston.
(30) FWOC Sprint Series #5, Prarie Winds Park, Calgary, AB. Wednesday, August 29, 6:15 pm. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(40) Barebones sprint, Canmore Nordic Center, Canmore, Alberta. Sunday afternoon, September 2. Part of the Barebones weekend. More info: Adrian Zissos.
(30) FWOC Sprint Series #6, Confederation Park, Calgary, AB. Wednesday, September 5, 6:15 pm. Contact: Bill Jarvis.
(2 x 30, triple-header) Norristown Sprints, Norristown State Hospital, Norristown, PA. Saturday, September 8. A very cool place. Meet director: John De Wolf.
(30) ROC NOD sprint at Highland Park, Rochester, NY, Saturday, September 15 (12-2pm starts). Also white and yellow courses. Meet director: Rick & Dayle Lavine.
(The above are included in the latest standings, with the exception of the SLOC sprints from June 22 and the SAMM sprint from June 20, which will be in the next update.)
(2 x 100) Sprint Finals, Western Connecticut, Saturday, September 22. Also the US Relay Champs on Sunday.
Course setting for Sprints
The IOF guidelines describe the Sprint as:
Controls: Technically easy.
Route choice: Difficult route choice, requiring high concentration.
Type of running: Very high speed.
Terrain: Very runnable park, streets or forest. Spectators are allowed along the course.
Map: 1:4000 or 1:5000.
Start interval: 1 minute.
Winning time (for Senior Elite competition): 12--15 minutes.
Summary: Sprint orienteering is a fast, visible, easy-to-understand format, allowing orienteering to be staged within areas of significant population.
To this I would add the following:
Make the course fast and fun. Lots of controls, lots of route choice, changes of direction. Have the start and finish right by the parking and/or meet headquarters. Make it easy for people to try a sprint before or after their regular course. Like anything, some will like it, some won't, but give them a chance to try it, especially the young ones. And for us old folks, well, a 1:5,000 map is mighty nice for the eyes.
Number of controls: perhaps 10-20
Course length: 2-3 km, depending on how open the terrain is.